Friday, January 16, 2009

it's been one year

I know that my blog has been overly emotional lately but that is kinda how I feel... and it is my blog so i will do what i want with it.

Today is the one year mark... one years since my dad died.  I am looking back over the year and trying to think what I've done.  

1.  I held 2 funerals, for one person, but two funerals nonetheless.  Hardest, and most memorable thing I've done to date.  

2.  I quit Hertz.  I hate to say it but it is something that I have wanted to do for about 3 years.  granted there was a lot of time in there in which I did like my job.  It never was for me and that is okay.  I am glad to have been there and had the experience and met the people I did but I am equally as glad to be done.  

3. I've applied and got accepted to GRAD school.  I am so glad that I did this.... i have been thinking about it for sometime and I am so glad that I dove in and will be starting back to school in like days... and I am excited about that.

4. I am working at a great place and feel good at the end of the day when I come home.  Foundation 2 is awesome, I love the work environment, I love the job that I do.  I LOVE it.

5. I've made a lot of good friends.  I have been hurt by people along the way... but I'm not perfect and I am sure that I have hurt some people too.... lessons learned and other friendships strengthened.

6. Survived a flood.  a 500 year flood.  this is something that i will never forget.  watching water rise in my city.  Cross over the flooded city on 380 and literally losing it.... because it was demolished.  Knowing that the water was just 2 blocks from my house, my house that was "never" going to be in danger of flooding.  I also got to see what it means to live in the Midwest.  There really is no place like this, the way strangers stand up and help one another, when the last well is the city was about to go under water and the news announced they need sand baggers and 1500 people showed up at 11:30 at night.  I know that these few sentences don't do justice to what happened but those are my memories of it.  

7. I've traveled less this last year.  I've visited my dad's grave 4 times.  I've been to Utah only once and besides that I haven't gone too many other places... and I'm okay with that.

I know that a lot more happened in the last year but those are the things that are most pressing. I feel like my life is split right now... into the before dad died and the after.... i look at everything I do know and ask, "Am I making my dad proud?"  I know I am.  I just wish he was hear to see it with me.  

No comments: